Sunday, February 21, 2010

SAGE ON THE COAST

We've been to Sage (Eastbluff) several times and finally decided to try their other restaurant, Sage on the Coast. When we arrived, we got off to a rocky start. As we were being seated my sweetie pie felt something wet and sticky on her chair and on the floor beneath. Fortunately her outfit was spared and after the hostess got us another chair and wiped up the floor, we were finally seated. We ordered appletinis and soon the ladies were back in dining mode.
Our waiter, Cody, was a sheer delight. He was perky, upbeat, and genuine. He was very attentive and informative; and really seemed to enjoy his work. To start off, the ladies split the Asian beef short rib appetizer, which has long been one of our favorites. I decided to try the Barratta and Mozzarella pizza with leeks and mushrooms. Oh, it was so good. But I can't believe I ate the whole thing!
But I'm glad I did. Because the rack of lamb I ordered was itty bitty. Tender and lean, but itty bitty. I know Mary had a little lamb, but Burger Boy likes 'em bigger. Maybe they should move it to the "small plate" section of the menu. Next time I'll order the duck.
So, where's the beef? Why, it's on the ladies plates! Sweetie pie had the large Filet Mignon topped with Gorgonzola and her mother the bone-in New York steak special with sweet potato fries. Yes, Sage does sweet potato fries, and does them well; with a divine Dijon dipping sauce.
For dessert my wife had the "mini"warm molten chocolate cake with coffee ice cream and chocolate syrup. Just enough. Her mother ordered the Hawaiian chocolate chip bread pudding. Delish! I had the Old Fashioned Rootbeer Float with warm chocolate chip pecan cookies-so fresh from the oven I had to let them cool before eating!
People watching is always fun on The Newport Coast and Sage has a lively bar scene happening; and a nice fireplace in the heated patio dining area.
On the downside, my sweetie pies's steak was overcooked and her mother's "well-done" steak still pink in the middle. And I guess it's also difficult to cook those tiny lamb chops medium rare.

Final verdict: The 3 Tubby Tummys give Sage on the Coast two thumbs up.



























1 comment: